Saturday, August 16, 2014

Practicing creativity with QDAD

You've probably seen some Design-Seed images floating around the interwebs. People use them for all sorts of inspiration; for painting, decorating homes, and of course, for quilts!
(Image Source)

Inspired by design-seed's daily images, and armed with a few basic rules, Anne @ Playcrafts has laid out a really cool community-based creative design habit she calls Quilt-Design-A-Day, or 'QDAD.'

I've seen her and other bloggers' designs for a few months now. And while I have admired them, I never thought to give it a try.

I have a tough time sticking with new habits for more than a few days, and honestly, I just didn't want to get into it and then stop and feel like I had failed.

Until this week, that is.... 

Hubby and moved earlier this month, and I have yet to get my sewing space set up in the new apartment.

I haven't been able to sew for almost a month, and I'm getting a wicked creative itch!! I mean, staring aimlessly at Pinterest and Instagram can only do so much, ya know?
(Image Source)

So earlier this month, when MQG announced it was hosting Anne for a webinar on QDAD,  it seemed like the right thing to do was to watch it. 

It. Was. Awesome.    Like, I may have to rewatch it and take notes kind of awesome. Seriously.

If you are a MQG member, and didn't see the webinar live, you can watch the recording here. I promise there will be at least one thing that really resonates with you.

Tonight I took a few minutes to hop on Design-Seeds, to open a blank word document (no fancy tools here) and I started playing with shapes and colors. Here's what I ended up with:

Is it innovative and genius? Umm, no. Did it stress me out or make my feel bad about my skills? NO!
I'm declaring it a design SUCCESS!

I probably won't do a new design every day, and I definitely don't have the time or desire to post all of the designs I do get to make here. But don't be surprised if a few of my more successful (or terrible) designs pop up here, as I'd love to get your feedback and constructive criticism!

So, do you QDAD? How do you exercise your creative muscles? 
I'll show you mine, if you show me yours!


Linking my design work up to these fine parties:
 stitch by stitch

No comments:

Post a Comment