Monday, June 5, 2017

Sassafras Leaves (for college)

This is a sweet and celebratory day, for my quilty heart.

Approximately 3 home addresses and several years ago,  I began sewing the petals for what would become my favorite quilt to date.  At the time, I lived in a small apartment, was still practically a newlywed and was getting to know the wonderful modern quilting community online. 

Much has changed in that time, namely, the recipient of this quilt went from a sweet kid to a bright, kind and sassy young lady. Rae has always had a special place in my and T's heart, and that will never change. From competing at horse shows to captivating an audience with her voice, she is talented, poised and strong. Watching her grow up, explore her passions and develop friendships has been an absolute blessing and we are beyond excited to see what great adventures lie ahead for this High School Grad.
 Like Rae, this quilt is unique and special in many ways. 
The fabric for the leaves come from a charm swap, from dozens of kindred quilty spirits across the country, a reminder that our passions can connect us to people from a wonderful array of backgrounds and landscapes.

The design changed and evolved over time, and was heavily influenced by my dear husband, who  curated fabric for and designed the borders. 
The piecing challenged me and required me to stretch both my skills and my comfort zone.
"Oh here there, bias borders! Nice to meet  you! You kind of scare me but I think we can work this out. "

The quilting was done by a lovely local longarmer, who took my vision and exceeded it, bringing the top to life with her custom swirls, flowers and loop design.

The binding was attached the night before we flew out to surprise her and I finished sewing the label down while she ran out for grad party decorations  (nothing like cutting it close!).



This quilt is everything I love about my craft... bringing together people, flexing creativity and expressing love for my friends and family.  I am so proud of it and of Rae. I cannot wait to hear it has been worn and loved to pieces, so that I can make another for my Sassy friend.

Quilt Stats: "Sassafras Leaves"
Size: 60 x 80"
Fabrics:  Stash, Literary by Windham, Tabby Road by Tula Pink 
PatternOrange Peels
Quilting: Custom Longarm Quilting by Diane Cerny

Completed: May 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment